What do a Nebraska Gas Station, an Orland Park movie theater, and a Denny’s parking lot have in common?
The precise timing of injections is one of the key components of a stimulation cycle. For this round, my injections must be given exactly 12 hours apart. For me, I chose the 8 o’clock hour as the lucky time when I’d have to give my shots. At the time, I didn’t think of all of the things that I’d be in the middle of at 8AM or 8PM:
- Watching Beauty and the Beast at a movie theater with my family and friends. Nothing like having Mariya give me three shots (in the dark) while singing along to the Prologue. “…..Bonjour! There goes the baker with his tray like always…”
- Driving on our road trip to Denver, it was awesome giving myself a shot in the car while at the gas pump. “Babe! We need to pull over now! The alarm on my phone is going off!”
- Giving myself shots in the bathroom at school before classes start in the morning
- Excusing myself from night school classes in order to give myself shots, again, in the bathroom at school.
- Leaving the dinner table with friends in order to go to my room and give myself shots.
The list could go on for, well, weeks worth of injections.
The good news, is the shots and medication are working. At our doctor’s appointment yesterday, numerous follicles had finally reached the ‘magic’ 20mm+ size. At this size, they are each (hopefully) filled with one tiny egg that can be extracted during surgery. As mentioned in a previous post, one of the medications that I am currently taking prevents my body from ovulating and releasing those eggs. In order to induce ovulation, I have to take an intramuscular shot that is perfectly timed with my scheduled surgery time. For this go around, the time of that shot had to be at 1:45AM.
Yes, 1:45 AM. I really can’t describe the immense pleasure of setting an alarm clock to wake you up at 1:43AM so that your wife can give you a shot with a 1.5″ needle in your hip area. I would say that it was a definite highlight of my life — something akin to stubbing your pinkie toe on the coffee table. 🙂
The upside you might ask? SURGERY IS SCHEDULED AND I AM DONE WITH SHOTS…..(for now). Please pray for us and for my surgeon tomorrow. Surgery is scheduled to start precisely at 12:45PM (Mountain Time) on Tuesday. Please, please, please let there be multiple eggs that are all mature and ready to become our lucky embryos!